VIEW ANOTHER COUNTRY:
Is your leader attending Rio+20?
- President Hifikepunye Pohamba is attending.
Does your country have a Rio+20 preparatory committee?
- Namibia has a preparatory committee in place that includes members from the government, civil society, and private sectors.
Has your country completed a sustainable development review?
- Namibia carried out a sustainable development review for Johannesburg in 2002, and it recently concluded a nation-wide review.
Is your country planning on announcing new initiatives at Rio?
- Namibia is planning on announcing an implementation of new policy framework based on Rio outcomes.
- Namibia is also introducing the Establishment of an Environment Investment Fund.
- Namibia will announce its achievement of 35% protected area expansion (exceeding IUCN targets), and will also announce about its achieved massive recovery of rare biodiversity species.
What is your vision for success at Rio+20?
- Namibia wants to see strengthening of UNEP to UN organization status.
- Namibia wants Rio+20 to result in renewal of political commitments for sustainable development, especially regarding funding and policies.